About Me

My photo
Author of queer, wry sci fi/fantasy books. On Amazon.
Editor of all fiction genres.

Monday 15 October 2012

Breaking News: Amazon Reviews for "The Stolen: Two Short Stories"

Hello hello!

Well, You lovely, lovely people have gotten me to the 150 mark on my fan page, and as it happens, I finished my present for you just earlier this afternoon! I'll try to have it up by about Thursday. If you didn't catch my tweets, well, stick around--it'll be a pleasant surprise, that's all I'm saying. I've had my serious face on to tackle a few important issues, but the short story is going to be rather less solemn.

Okay, fine, you get two hints about the story: GLADoS and Jonathan Coulter. That's all! No moar! Now you must wait.

I also want to share a rather awesome review from my Amazon page for The Stolen: Two Short Stories.

This one is by rising horror star J.C. Eggleton, author of Brookhaven.

The Review:

"I must say, I rather enjoyed the short stories in this book. Ms. Browne does a great job of crafting a dystopian future of censorship and sexual repression. She hurdles the most common pitfall of the genre by avoiding staking too much on concocting futuristic technologies. There are a few gizmos, certainly, but they take a backseat to the oft-overlooked, all-important detail: People. The first story takes a gritty look at the growing sub-culture in the modern world, prisoners, and never deviates from the point.

The second was perhaps more interesting because it hits Ms. Browne so close to home and that's censorship. It's obvious from the text that Shakespeare is a passion and I was impressed by the genuine pain her characters go through while having to chop and delete and muddy the wording of our language's finest craftsman. The story focuses less on futurism and does a wonderful job of fleshing out the characters. A great deal of it focuses on their day to day lives, makes the horrors of their actions seem almost the norm, and I enjoyed that.

As much as I wanted to rate this a perfect five, I had to be honest. If there was any way I could rate the book four and a half stars, I would. I'm simply not a big fan of short stories in general, they always leave you wanting more. That's exactly what this book did: I left me looking forward to more of this rising star's work and I would recommend any fan of the genre to do the same."

There you have it, folks. If you've somehow skipped this story until now, wait no longer. Go forth to Amazon! Here is the Amazon link, on top, and the Smashwords link, below it.

The Stolen: Two Short Stories on Amazon

The Stolen: Two Short Stories on Smashwords

*****

Thanks for dropping by the nest once again. You'll be getting a treat on Thursday, so tune in for the short story! In the meantime, you can keep an eye on me on Twitter and on Tumblr. Don't forget to check back for short stories, more politics, analysis, scraps of science, and even some reviews. This is your SciFiMagpie, over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, be excellent unto others, and don't be a dick.

Google+