About Me

My photo
Author of queer, wry sci fi/fantasy books. On Amazon.
Editor of all fiction genres.

Thursday 23 January 2014

A Quick Update--The Night Circus

This is not an analysis, it's a tantrum.

Okay guys, I just...NEED...to flip a table about this book. I have touched on the lack of black people, people of colour, queers, variously abled people, and etcetera before; it's bothersome. Diehard fans might want to cover their ears. This is going to be a three or even a two-star review for me because the feels are so mixed.

I need to preface this by saying that I am a professional freelance editor and that it has kind of ruined all books for me because I understand how they're made. At least, I don't look at them the same way as civilian readers or even writers do.

And this book was not edited well enough. The contractions that are nonexistent in dialogue really tipped me off. There were a few funky commas, which I can permit, but CONTRACTIONS! ARGH! Normal people use them.

I love Poppet and Widget and Bailey. I love the descriptions of the circus and the dreamy atmosphere. I like the food and the sensory descriptions.

But I can't stand Marco and Celia. They're BORING, and have no personality other than to want each other. What does Celia *like*? Isobel was a more interesting character in every way, and Marco treated her very poorly, which I always hate. Then there's the whole gimmicky time travel thing with the chapters, which was awesome at first and is now annoying the living piss out of me. I will probably do a more in-depth analysis on my blog, but I'm frustrated. And then there's the stupid Game, which is a war of attrition, for...reasons?

I want to love this book so hard. I really like it. I just wish it was about anyone except Celia and Marco--in fact, about everyone *except* them.

*pant pant* I will let you know what I think when I finish the book.
*****
Thanks for dropping by the nest once again. Don't miss any of the phuquerie. Find Michelle on TwitterFacebook, and on Tumblr, and find her work on Amazon. Check back on the blog to see when one of the irregular posts has careened onto your feed. This is the one and only SciFiMagpie, over and out! 

1 comment:

As always, be excellent unto others, and don't be a dick.

Google+