About Me

My photo
Author of queer, wry sci fi/fantasy books. On Amazon.
Editor of all fiction genres.

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Daddy Casserole: Sugar Scams, Part 14


Today, I have a tale of a fallen giant - as well as a few particularly hilarious selections from sugar daddy fraudsters.

A few of the more hilarious errors and typos have been compiled below for visual variety, but let's get right into a tale of shame and infamy. Another reporter has covered this story in more detail, with useful information about how to generate fake Paypal screenshots and such.

Content note - the word "r*tard", a slur, appears in the video; the creator did apologize for that on Twitter, but I just wanted to brace listeners for that.




So, for over a year now, a figure known only as "TheSugarDad1" has been holding giveaways on Twitter for thousands of dollars. Following him was actually the beginning of my curiosity about sugar daddies on Twitter in general! After all, he had thousands upon thousands of followers, something very uncommon for other alleged sugars, and had screenshots from people who said they'd benefited from his generosity.

His consistent character and compassion made him compelling. He appears to have genuinely given away some money - a thousand dollars here or there - and was on the verge of attaining partnership with Twitter. Everyone was clamouring to find out who the mysterious man really was, and trying to figure out who the avuncular and compassionate "millionaire" might possibly be. There are twenty-six million millionaires in the world, and about 1800 billionaires - the possibility that one of them might want to share his wealth was irresistible.

It may not sound like much, but it was more than most other so-called sugar daddies had. His fluent English was another tip-off that he seemed legitimate. Other sugar scammers even imitated his language and tried to impersonate him! Accounts like @SugarDaddySteve and @KingofCash, the latter of which is now defunct, have both coasted on the same prestige - only to be revealed for using the same fraudulent techniques.




Seeing the so-called philanthropist fall is surprisingly disappointing. Of course, many will say, "It was too good to be true." But for many desperate young people retweeting his content, the desperation of our era made the improbable feel closer and more likely than it really was.

But of course, the story continues - and many other sugar scammers, including those who imitated @TheSugarDad1, are not nearly as competent. Behold this ridiculous rogue's gallery.

A lobster son? Of course. I guess even residents of Innsmouth want a little action on the side.
He left in the stock footage link. HE LEFT IN THE STOCK FOOTAGE LINK. 

"That's not me, lol" *anime sweat drop* 
'
"The beoing crash investigation" - of course. 

He wanted the chats of his competitors. I really wonder why. Was he looking out for his own accounts?  


"Send me your direct deposit info." "Okay." "Now send me your login and card number." "No
Of course, no post on scams would be complete without an update on a hot new method. Many financial submissives offer cryptocurrency as a payment method (most use Circle), but it would seem that the sugar scammers have figured out that their gift card and bank login-snatching ways are getting caught.

Today, a sugar scammer followed me, saying that he had secure options. Curious, I decided to take the bait. I knew there was a 95% chance he was a scammer - but I wanted to see what this new method was.

After getting me to sign up for a crypto wallet website, Blockchain Wallet - which is real and verified - he waited for me to reply and made small talk about my day. His English was better than usual, but I still noticed a number of errors - not as many as most others, though.

The app had a way to send a QR code to allow the receipt of funds. I sent that to him - and he demanded a picture of my website login. Here's the thing - that website login? It has the wallet's info, and by accessing the email login code, he would have been able to access (ostensibly) my address, real name, and birthdate. I don't use any of those for my undercover work, for obvious reasons - but I could have been in real trouble. Instead, of course, I blocked him, warned the rest of sex worker and sugar daddy Twitter, and went on my merry way.

And finally, if anyone feels like actually gracing my account with a tip after reading this series, here is my real Paypal.me and my Ko-fi.

***
Michelle Browne is a sci fi/fantasy writer and editor. She lives in Lethbridge, AB with her partner-in-crime and Max the cat. Her days revolve around freelance editing, knitting, jewelry, and learning too much. She is currently working on other people's manuscripts, the next books in her series, and drinking as much tea as humanly possible.

Find her all over the internet: * 
OG Blog * Mailing list * Magpie Editing * 
Amazon * Medium * Twitter * Instagram * Facebook * Tumblr * Paypal.me * Ko-fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, be excellent unto others, and don't be a dick.

Google+